Need nutritious ideas for likeable lunches? Here are some flavor favorites you can add to your child's springtime lunch box: remember exposure to new flavors and textures are key to increasing your child's nutritional repertoire.
If you have a picky eater, introduce one new flavor with other favorite lunch foods.
* Whole-wheat wrap with thinly sliced fresh roast beef with thin layer of olive tapenade and an apple.
* Sushi bowl: Rice in a bowl with edamame, baked terrakyi tofu cubes, fresh corn and side of pickled ginger or cucumber slices.
* Whole grain sandwich with Cheddar, hummus, grilled red peppers, spring lettuce on whole grain bread with side of mini heirloom tomatoes.
* Sausage pita with organic chicken sausage on Ozery pita roll with a
side of baked beans and strawberries.
* Whole grain wrap with refried beans, avocado and a side of salsa
for dipping. Serve with pre-sliced mango and jicama. For extra
protein add plain Greek yogurt.
* Greek yogurt with fresh blueberries, thinly sliced figs, almond
slivers, bananas, wheat germ and toasted oats.
Love the lunch ideas? Take a peek at a few snack favorites:
* Chia pudding
* 100 percent fruit leathers
* Freeze dried fruits and veggies
* Frozen fruits
* Kale chips – Healing Home Foods - favorite at Hu Kitchen
* Quinoa cornbread
To see this Quinoa Cornbread recipe online, please click the link:
Laura Cipullo, RD, CDE, CEDRD is a registered dietitian and the author of the children’s workbook: Healthy Habits 8 Essential Nutrition Lessons Every Parent and Educator Needs to Know (www.TheMommyManualSeries.com). Laura maintains a private nutrition practice in New York City, Laura Cipullo Whole Nutrition Services. Specializing in diabetes, preventing and treating eating disorders, pediatric and family nutrition, Laura uses a holistic approach; through a combination of medical nutrition therapy, intuitive eating and client empowerment. Laura's private practice offers clients three mindful meal support groups weekly, in addition to individual and family consultations. In the fall of 2013 her book The Diabetes Comfort Diet Cookbook (Rodale) was released to teach readers how to eat all foods while balancing blood sugar. Laura’s mission is to teach people how to eat all foods, in helping to prevent eating disorders.
You can learn more about Laura and read her advice on navigating nutrition for a family on her blog, www.MomDishesItOut.com. Laura’s nutrition blog,www.EatingandLivingModerately.com offers nutrition tips and encourages readers to adopt a wholesome way of eating that incorporates all foods in moderation. Laura currently resides in New York City with her husband and is a proud mother of two. Become a fan of Laura on Twitter (@MomDishesItOut).